New Ing Lodge is a Grade 2 listed 18th century farmhouse that now hosts a friendly 10-bedroomed guesthouse and holiday let. We are located in Shap, Cumbria in the beautiful and peaceful Eden Valley directly on Wainwright’s Coast to Coast route. We are ideal for groups and individuals interested in walking, cycling and other outdoor activities as well as for those just looking for a peaceful retreat in this beautiful part of the country.
We are open for holiday let throughout the year and serviced B&B and dorm accommodation from March to October. We also have a camping field and facilities. We offer evening meals as well as breakfast and have local beers on tap in our on-site bar, The Staggering Wanderer. We are committed to being as environmentally friendly as possible and have been awarded Outstanding Commitment to Responsible Tourism by Nurture Eden and a Gold Star Award by Green Tourism.
MEET THE TEAM
New Ing Lodge is run by a young and active team led by Scott and Leigh-ann and their two fox-red labradors, Tia and Mac.
We all believe in working hard and playing hard, which is why when we are not on site, we’re probably out running and walking in the hills, discovering new cycling and MTB routes and generally enjoying the area in which we are so fortunate to live.
ABOUT THE NEW ING LODGE
New Ing Lodge is located in Shap village just on the edge of the Lake District National Park, this makes us the perfect place to stay for exploring this area, as we are easily accessible from the M6, however only a short drive to either the North or South lakes.The Lake District is the country’s biggest adventure playground with something to do for everyone no matter the age or level of fitness. We are also situated very close to the Howgill fells and the North Pennines, which makes New Ing Lodge ideal for those of you with a sense of adventure or for those of you who simply like to take in the beautiful scenery.
The village itself has lots of great amenities, such as a Co-op that is open daily from 7:00 – 22:00, 2 pubs, a cafe and a butcher’s all of which are in a short walking distance from the house. The award-winning Shap Chippy is only a few hundred yards from our front door, as well as the New Balance factory outlet which is open every day and great for a bargain! There is also the heated open-air swimming pool in Shap, open from May to September, and a large playing field, large children’s play area and astro-turf games area.
The historic ruins of Shap Abbey are only a 20-minute easy walk from the door; the stonework from the abbey has been used in many of the local building including New Ing Lodge. The medieval Keld Chapel near Shap, owned by the National Trust, is one of their more remote religious sites. It is kept locked at all times but the key is available from the village. There is a short footpath that links the chapel and the abbey and makes for a lovely short and accessible walk for everyone from New Ing Lodge.
THINGS TO DO IN THE AREA
If you enjoy the outdoors, there are ample of opportunities to have fun-filled and exciting days in the area.
We are situated directly on the Wainwright’s Coast to Coast route and the Westmoreland Way, which makes us an ideal overnight stop. Besides the long distance walks, there are many good walks from the door of New Ing and the fells of the Lake District, the Howgills and the Pennines are all only a short drive away and easily accessible.
If you prefer to explore on your road bike, riding the quiet rural roads over the rolling terrain is an exhilarating way to discover the scenery available from our door into the Lake District, Yorkshire or even Northern Lancashire. For the adventurous mountain bikers, Whinlatter Forest offers an ever-growing maze of MTB trails. This is located just a 35-minute drive from New Ing Lodge, near Keswick.
For the fans of Withnail and I, the surroundings of Shap offer the pleasure of discovering familiar places from the film starting with Sleddale Hall (or Withnail’s uncle’s cottage) located by Wet Sleddale Reservoir just outside Shap to the bridge where Withnail and Marwood go fishing is located at the bottom of the hill below Sleddale Hall. The phone box where Withnail calls his agent is besides the main road in Bampton and “the Bull scene” was filmed just out of Bampton towards Shap.
Lowther Castle and Gardens is only a 10-minute drive from the door and with stunning grounds,breathtaking gardens to explore and an exciting children’s mock castle playarea, Lowther Castle is a great family day out. There is also a great cafe and beautiful views of the surrounding area.
Where to find us!
We are situated at the North End of Shap, just a couple of minutes drive from the M6. We are right on the high street, so we are really handy for the local amenities and the local walking routes.
What is close by?
Askham hall and Lowther Castle are a 5 minute drive and are a highly recommended trip. Another lovely spot is the Shap Abbey ruins, just a 20 minute stroll away!
NEW ING LODGE
TELEPHONE: 01931 716719
- Cannot speak too highly of this accommodation, extremely comfortable and run by a team of young people who go out of their way to make you feel welcome. Lots of the guests were completing the Coast to Coast which gave me some interesting conversations as I completed the walk some years ago. If you want luxury, go to The Ritz, if you want comfortable friendly accommodation with wholesome food, do not miss the lodge. Also made our dog welcome, she enjoyed her stay.John W. - TripAdvisor
- Stayed for 3 nights as a family with a German shephard in a family room, spotless, large and comfortable to say the least. The staff can't help enough and the food is perfect! Log burner in the common room hits the spot every night. 100% recommend this place, amazing!Rachael H. - TripAdvisor
- In celebration of my 30th birthday, we hired the full house for 22 friends for a weekend. New Ing Lodge exceeded all expectations - spacious yet cosy, fully equipped, great outside space, and help always at hand if we needed it. This fabulous property in a beautiful location was perfect for the occasion and we'll be back for future events.Luke K. - TripAdvisor
- I needed to find a place that would hold 25 guys for my best friends stag do. We found this place and after a few emails the whole lodge was booked out for the weekend for a ridiculously low price. All anyone said all weekend was this place was absolutely perfect. From the bar area, where Scott and the guys ordered in a keg for us, to the rooms and the breakfast, everything was spot on. The guys were great, always quick to respond to emails and do what they can to make the stay as easy to organise and enjoyable as possible. I cannot recommend this place enough!!!Joe D- - TripAdvisor
- Hosts are very welcoming and extremely friendly. A comfortable and cosy stay for summer or winter. You won't be disappointed.Barry L. - Facebook
- This is a great place to stay, warm, friendly an inviting! We have stayed here for both bed and breakfast and earlier this year, we took the family up for a self catering weekend! Cannot recommend enough!Sinead B.