November might not be the time when most folks plan a holiday in the Lake District but let us convince you why exactly it’s a brilliant idea to come away for a weekend (or a week) with friends and family in November.
- Nobody else is in the Lakes. Well, that’s not completely true but we can guarantee you that the fells and the footpaths are less crowded and you can enjoy the quietness of the wilderness without interruption.
- The autumnal hues. The autumn brings out the most beautiful colour display on the fells. The reds, yellows and oranges mixed with the lush greenness in an autumn sun… ahh, we cannot imagine anything more beautiful!
- The wildlife. Grab your binoculars and go in search of the native red squirrel. Many of our guests see them on their walks around here. Just a few miles from us is a great place to spot red deer. Autumn is their rutting season and if you’re lucky you might even catch them locking their antlers. For bird lovers, autumn is a great time to spot the peregrine and the buzzard as well as murmurations of migrating birds.
- The history. You can really take in the historic sites around Shap starting from the Shap Abbey. There are also ancient and mysterious stone circles in Oddendale and Knipe. Lowther Castle and Gardens offer a fun and interesting days out for the whole of the family. And for lovers of cultural history, a tour around the locations of the cult film Withnail and I is a definite must! See our suggested route here.
- The walks. Although most walks can be tackled at any time of the year, the combination of autumn scenery and the reduced number of people on the fells definitely makes it a much more pleasurable outing in November. Whether you are looking for a family-friendly walk for everyone or a more exciting outing, we have collected some of our favourite walks and are happy to provide you with suggestions. You can have a peak at our recommendations here.
- The bike rides. After all the summer and October half-term tourists have left the area, the roads suddenly become quiet again and are extremely inviting for a good ride. There are plenty of options for anyone whether you prefer to ride on the road or on tracks in the hills or do a combination of both on your cross bike! Lowther Castle has teamed up with Arrogon’s Cycles and now offer eBike hire and trails around the Lowther estate. This is something we definitely recommend you to check out!
- Our bar and log burner. After spending a good autumn day out, there is nothing better than to come back, light the log burner in our lounge and head over to the bar to pour yourself a pint of the local beer. We work together with Eden River Brew Co, Tirril Brewery and Hawkshead Brewery and are happy to put on a barrel or two of your choosing in our bar when you hire the lodge!
- Cumbrian craft ale scene. If you wish to venture outside to taste even more beer, we are can recommend the Fell Brewery that has bars with excellent choice both in Kendal and in Penrith. The Hawkshead Brewery Beer Hall in Staveley is worth a visit for its choice and atmosphere. Handsome Brewery, the smallest one in the UK, also offers interesting beers in Bowston. The Lakes Distillery that makes its own gin and whiskey is worth a visit for a tour and lunch in their bistro.
- Local food. Although you will have the use of our kitchen and we are more than happy to take care of some or all of your meals during your stay, there are some fabulous places to eat out nearby. The award-winning Shap Chippy just a few doors down is always a good idea as is The Kings Arms further down the village, which offers good pub food in a family and dog friendly atmosphere. The George and Dragon in Clifton offers more of a gastropub experience and is only 10 minutes drive from our door. The restaurant in Askham Hall offers a five-star worth fine dining experience that you’d struggle to forget.
- The price. It is no secret that once the fells become quieter, the prices tend to drop like apples off the trees. It just makes sense to come and enjoy the same beauty for less money. This is why we also offer a special deal for November visitors.
We hope we have we have given you enough reasons to consider a trip to the Lake District in the off-season. If you have even an inkling of curiosity, we encourage you to come and check it out yourself! Don’t be scared off by thoughts of bad weather – November can often offer crispy and glorious days. And even if it is a bit rubbish, what’s a little bit of rain when you can enjoy the company of your friends and family in a beautiful setting!
Special offer for November!
We are running a special offer for November weekends for exclusive use of New Ing Lodge. For just £1349* you can have a use of our 10 bedrooms, 10 bathrooms, the bar, the kitchen and our cosy lounge for a 2-night weekend or £1750 for 3-night weekend! It’s the perfect opportunity to come and enjoy some time away!
2nd to 4th/5th of November
9th to 11th/12th of November
16th to 18th/19th of November
23rd to 25th/26th of November
30th to 2nd/3rd of December
We also offer the exclusive use of the whole lodge from £350 per night from Monday to Thursday over winter months (minimum stay 3 nights). Email us at email@example.com or press the button below to enquire about specific dates and find out more!
*Normal price for 2 nights £1550